Director of Engineering (Minneapolis)
Grey Search + Strategy
We’re looking for men and women eager to join a fast-paced, innovative team of problem-solvers and troubleshooters. As our Director of Engineering, you successfully lead people, projects, and processes to get results. You lead with respect and effective communication, solve technical and business problems individually and collaboratively, and work with leadership on our strategic direction. This is an opportunity to join a culture of excellence—delivering it for our customers and expecting it of ourselves.
Prepare operating budgets and strategic plans for the Engineering Department that meet the company’s overall goals
- Develop annual department expense budget that utilizes all engineering resources and meets the product and technology development requirements of the company.
- Develop annual capital budget to identify capital requirements to establish and maintain the engineering department functions. Identify and budget for necessary capital to produce developed products. Forecast operating costs of the department and direct preparation of budget requests.
Drive the New Product Launch (NPL) process launching new projects on time and on budget.
- Lead transfer to production of sustaining projects and dealing with special requests from OEM customers.
- Provide direction and support for the manufacturing process to ensure customer satisfaction and continuous process improvement.
Maintain a working knowledge of new technologies that may improve operations and develop recommendations.
- Analyze technology trends, human resource needs and market demand to plan projects.
- Advise management of new developments that may affect profit, schedule, costs, customer relations, and/or inter-departmental relations.
Provide direction and leadership to the engineering group (approximately 10 direct reports), and coordinate work to support strategic plans.
- Develop employees through training, coaching and effective feedback, ensuring they understand and follow policies and procedures.
- Resolve problems using solutions that involve new techniques, technologies, or concepts.
- Interact cross-functionally.
Maintain a working knowledge of safety policies and regulations to ensure duties are performed in a safe manner.
Other duties as assigned.
- Bachelor’s Degree in engineering. (Mechanical or electrical engineering focus preferred)
- Demonstrated ability to successfully lead people and projects and to get results through others
- Experience in materials, process and equipment optimization.
- Broad understanding of components manufacturing processes and products.
- Knowledge of statistical process control and design of experiment.
- Capable of clearly and concisely presenting complex concepts to others.
- Strong problem-solving and technical skills related to materials and process technologies.
- Demonstrated understanding and application of financial planning and analysis.
- Excellent interpersonal skills and cross-cultural respect.
- 10 years of experience in managing engineers and/or technical resources and projects.
- Contract manufacturing environment experience within plastics
Please apply directly to Nikki Francois at firstname.lastname@example.org.