To apply for this position, click here.
At Trane Technologies® we Challenge Possible. Our brands – including Trane® and Thermo King® – create access to cooling and comfort in buildings and homes, transport and protect food and perishables, connect customers to elevated performance with less environmental impact, dramatically reduce energy demands and carbon emissions, and innovate with a better world in mind. We boldly challenge what’s possible for a sustainable world.
This Lead Engineer, Modeling and Simulation will apply experimental and computational methods to develop reliable Transport HVAC product designs, and to address structural and vibration problems with existing products. Primary focus areas include structural integrity, structural dynamics, vibration simulation and testing, component (engine, compressor, and blower) durability, and structural design optimization methods. Work closely with various product and technology development teams, and with global engineering support center personnel around the globe.
CORE JOB RESPONSIBILITIES (others may be added):
- Lead and carry out the advancement and growth of the Modeling and Simulation Team, as well as the Shaker Table, Structural Dynamic, Sound and Vibration Laboratory. The scope encompasses technology in both computational and experimental tools and methodologies applicable to Transport HVAC products.
- Plan, conduct, and supervise various structural and vibration tests, including but not limited to: shaker table, structural modal analysis, steady state and transient vibration, rotating machinery, tensile test, material fatigue, over-the-road and test track data collection and analysis.
- Plan, conduct, and supervise work related to developing structural simulation models. The scope includes prediction of fatigue life, stress, displacement, and vibration, using implicit and explicit finite element (FEA) and multibody (MBD) simulation methods.
- Develop standard work and design guidelines related to structural design of components and joints, including but limited to fasteners and material selections.
- Work closely with product engineers to design reliable and quiet products.
- Work closely with test engineers and technicians. Responsibilities include understanding and prioritizing test requests, designing and proposing the appropriate test, discussing and supervising test implementations, assuring the validity of the data and its interpretation, and documenting the work in formal reports.
- Act as a member of the various product and technology development teams to design reliable and durable products.
- Support and successfully accomplish annual corporate objectives for individuals and teams.
- Effectively utilize personal project management techniques and utilize the available technical skills and resources necessary for success.
- Work closely and mentor other engineering resources globally.
- Act as a representative to promote the concepts of structural reliability and how they relate to product designs.
- Some overnight travel will be required (probably less than 10%).
EDUCATION and/or EXPERIENCE REQUIRED:
- Bachelor’s Degree in Applied Mechanics or Mechanical Engineering (with focus in Structural Integrity) and at least 10 years of relevant work experience is required.
- Master’s Degree or Ph.D is preferred.
ESSENTIAL SKILLS or KNOWLEDGE:
- Formal coursework in structural dynamic, structural mechanics, advanced strength of materials, and digital signal processing required.
- Experience in structural engineering, both simulation and tests.
- Knowledge in the design, testing, and optimization for durability and reliability of machinery.
- Knowledge and experience in correlating simulations models and test data are required.
- Be a strong team player.
- Strong teamwork, interpersonal, communication, and project management skills required.
- Must be able to work on multiple high-priority projects simultaneously.
- Experience in structural data acquisition systems, both hardware and software, as well as mechanical strain measurement, are preferred.
- Experience or knowledge in ANSYS, Hyperworks, Nastran, Siemens Test.Lab, Siemens SimCenter, and NCode would be considered a plus.
- Experience in Transport HVAC products, engines, fans and compressors is preferred.
We offer competitive compensation and comprehensive benefits and programs that help our employees thrive in both their professional and personal lives. We are proud of our winning culture which is inclusive and respectful at its core. We share passion for serving customers, caring for others, and boldly challenging what’s possible for a sustainable world.
We are committed to achieving workforce diversity reflective of our communities. We are an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identify, national origin, pregnancy, age, marital status, disability, status as a protected veteran, or any legally protected status.