Mentoring is a personal and professional development strategy through which one person facilitates the intentional development of another.
A mentor is a trusted guide who has an interest in the mentee’s development and acts as a role model and supporter for the mentee, sharing expertise, values, skills and perspective.
A mentee is an individual motivated to increase her personal and professional growth by setting development goals, and being open to feedback and learning as a means to growth.
The TeamWomenMN mentoring program is not a formally structured program and allows the mentee to design and lead the process. We believe this level of flexibility allows the participants to tailor the topics and discussions to best meet the goals and objectives of the mentee. Monthly discussion topics are provided as a resource for the discussions. The mentoring pair (mentor and mentee) will be introduced and provided an overview of the program at the start of the program (see website for date, location and time).
For the mentee:
- Provides access to extended professional networks
- Provides an opportunity to seek advice and guidance on specific competencies, skills and issues
- Increases confidence to take on new challenges
- Provides insight into what is needed to grow professionally
For the mentor:
- Provides an opportunity to share critical knowledge and experience
- Offers a source of new and diverse ideas, perspectives and styles
- Provides further opportunity and experience in developing professionals
- Increases awareness of challenges encountered by individuals at different points in their career