White Bear Lake, Minnesota, United States · Engineering
Nextern is looking for a Principal Mechanical Engineer to join our growing team! This position comes with a competitive salary and a full benefits package (details below).
As part of a multidisciplinary product development and manufacturing engineering team the Principal Mechanical Engineer will be responsible for mechanical support and expertise in the definition, design, development, and testing of a wide variety of projects in the field of Medical Devices. This role includes collaborating with and advising engineers and designers from client companies.
Additional duties and responsibilities for the Principal Mechanical Engineer role:
- Work as a key part of the product realization team, establishing technical approach, evaluating risk and providing mechanical engineering solutions that meet or exceed the established product requirements.
- Provide working direction to other members of the engineering staff and development teams.
- Provide project management direction.
- Review and select materials, finishes and manufacturing methods for plastics, metals, and/or components.
- Work with regulatory and program management staff to ensure mechanical engineering and design meets government regulatory guidelines and requirements.
- Collaborate with electrical engineering and design to specify and create electro-mechanical parts, assemblies and products as appropriate.
- Collaborate with clients and mechanical designers to specify and/or review mechanical drawings and assemblies for accuracy, cost management and manufacturability. Work with mechanical designers and outside suppliers to create, modify, and assess part and/or product prototypes.
- Review proposed manufacturing processes, dies and tooling to ensure efficient, accurate and cost-effective production of parts and products.
- Prepare and execute design verification tests ensuring product requirements have been fulfilled by execution of the technical approach.
- Research and evaluate materials, components, assemblies, manufacturing procedures & processes and/or equipment.
- Lead design reviews, ensuring product requirements are met, engineering intent is maintained, and risks are mitigated prior to release for tooling and
- Other duties as assigned.
Working at Nextern is a better kind of work. We look for people who can exercise their personal superpowers while living our company principles. At Nextern, we are all responsible for making a meaningful impact on day to day patient quality of life. Our unique energy is unmistakable as we have fun, care about one another, and build a place we can all grow & produce great work.
Come join Nextern, where we are in it TOGETHER!
- Bachelor’s Degree from a four-year college or university in Mechanical Engineering or related field.
- Master’s Degree in Engineering is a plus
- Thirteen or more years of experience, preferably in the Medical Device field.
- Strong design and manufacturing knowledge of plastics (extrusions, injection molding and/or precision parts), stamping, casting and/or sheet metal fabrication and/or: Experience in the design and development of interventional catheters.
- Demonstrated ability to collaborate with, support and direct mechanical design, review CAD models, part drawings and BOMs for accuracy and manufacturability. Willingness to work with electronic document and project management systems to track work product, deliverables and progress.
- Demonstrated ability to provide complete and accurate work product; material selection, designs, drawings and other documents that accurately reflect
product requirements and transition smoothly into production.
- Strong work ethic and professional commitment
- The desire to both innovate and serve internal and external customers by meeting and exceeding project deliverables and timelines
Nextern offers excellent benefits to fuel you in building a fulfilling life & career.
- Fully subsidized basic health insurance for employees + partially subsidized premium and family plans.
- Fully subsidized employee dental insurance + optional coverage for spouse/dependents available for purchase
- 401k plan with a company match
- 9 paid holidays (including your birthday!) + dedicated personal & sick days
- Gym membership subsidy
- Employee Long Term Disability, AD&D, and Life Insurance + opportunity to purchase additional coverage or types of insurance
- Modern facilities with sit/stand desks, flex-work spaces, lots of natural light, and occasionally, tacos, because these things are important to productivity
To apply for this position, click here.