TeamWomen Member Jennifer Mandery recently shed light on her experience in our Mentor Program and what women can gain by being mentors. Jennifer is the Sr. Director of Research for The NALP Foundation for Law Career Research and Education. She has over 20 years of experience working within the legal industry and is an expert in providing solution-driven research findings that are insightful, actionable, and influence business-decision making. She has co-authored multiple publications available for purchase through The NALP Foundation’s website, including reports on associate hiring and attrition, associate evaluations, mentoring, and law school alumni satisfaction and employment. Learn more about her in our Member Spotlight below!
What are the 5 things you’ve learned from being a mentor?
- Paying it forward by giving back to the next generation of leadership is a very rewarding experience.
- As a mentor, you will have an opportunity to reflect on your own history, growth, and achievements.
- Being a mentor/mentee provides an excellent opportunity to expand your network and make new connections.
- It is beneficial to hear a fresh perspective and gain additional insight from professionals in different career stages. You have more to offer than you might realize, and you will learn a lot as well.
- Being present, listening carefully, and providing encouragement are skills we can all benefit from. If you have ever thought about being a mentor, I highly recommend it. You will not regret the experience.
Why did you join TeamWomen and what keeps you involved?
I joined TeamWomen in order to meet and be inspired by a network of women from a variety of industries. In addition to attending events such as the Annual Leadership Conference, I have enjoyed being a part of the Mentor Program and serving on the Membership Committee. I have met some truly amazing women!
Why did you decide to become a mentor?
Mentoring relationships can have a lasting positive impact on career satisfaction and success over time. TeamWomen’s Mentor Program provides me with the perfect opportunity to become more involved with the organization, meet new people, and to give back to others within my community.
Have you ever had a mentor?
I have developed, relied on and benefited from several informal professional mentoring relationships throughout the different stages of my career. I am fortunate to have had so many resources that I can depend on for excellent advice.
What do you do for fun?
I enjoy spending time with my husband and two daughters, traveling, playing tennis, running and biking.