At Trane Technologies® we Challenge Possible. Our brands – including Trane® and Thermo King® – create access to cooling and comfort in buildings and homes, transport and protect food and perishables, connect customers to elevated performance with less environmental impact, dramatically reduce energy demands and carbon emissions, and innovate with a better world in mind. We boldly challenge what’s possible for a sustainable world.
The Lead Platform Systems Engineer will provide project Engineering leadership for Thermo King products in the North America Transport Refrigeration and mobile HVAC portfolio. This individual will be the systems engineering leader for new product development projects, responsible for ensuring Systems Engineering principles, tools, processes, and technical rigor are applied to develop solutions that satisfy product performance and safety requirements, Quality, Delivery, and Cost.
This role will provide multi-disciplinary engineering leadership & development of Thermo King Transport refrigeration and mobile HVAC systems, including:
- Requirements elicitation & analysis
- Requirements flow down and ownership
- System architecture & modular design
- Concept development
- Tradeoff analysis
- Interdependency identification
- Modeling and simulation
- Controls algorithm development
- Testing & evaluation
- System optimization
- Reliability analysis
- Risk management
The ideal candidate will leverage strong critical thinking and communication with deep product/application knowledge — providing strong ownership & leadership for the technical development approach. They will drive the best business solution based on requirements, technical readiness, and trade-offs. They will demonstrate a continuous pursuit of curiosity/learning, understanding, and improving the organization’s capability. The candidate must work in physical, abstract, and conceptual domains—balancing the big picture while objectively evaluating multiple scenarios/solutions due to the usual ambiguity of balancing future technologies with practical limits. They will work to continuously identify, communicate, and manage risks to ensure project/program success. Finally, they shall be a servant leader who actively listens and seeks input from multiple sources/stakeholders.
The role will demonstrate cross-functional leadership becoming a Change Agent at multiple levels and between multiple teams:
- Developing strong communication/alignment with internal and external suppliers
- Driving project execution and achieve project milestones
- Introduction of new technologies and processes
- Managing large or complex projects
- Building systems engineering capability & culture
- Bachelor’s Degree in Mechanical, Electrical, Systems or Software Engineering (or similar discipline) and at least 10 years of work experience developing complex mechanical and/or electrical systems is required.
- Master’s Degree or PhD in Engineering is strongly preferred.
Essential Skills & Knowledge:
- Strong experience modeling and validating multi-disciplinary product systems required (integration of mechanics, hydraulics, electronics, power transmission, fluids, etc.).
- Demonstrated technical leadership with systems-level engineering of complex mechanical/electrical systems.
- Design failure mode and effects analysis (DFMEA) and design validation plan and report (DVP&R).
- Product architecture methods, functional analysis or product family design.
Supplemental Skills & Knowledge:
- Experience in control of refrigeration or HVAC systems.
- Electrical hardware or power electronics experience.
- Experience or certification in project management.
- A demonstrated history of innovation, e.g. patent authorship.
- Understanding of transportation, off-road agricultural, construction or HVAC equipment.
- Experience with Six Sigma analysis and reporting tools: A3, 8D, Fishbone/5-whys etc.
We offer competitive compensation and comprehensive benefits and programs that help our employees thrive in both their professional and personal lives. We are proud of our winning culture which is inclusive and respectful at its core. We share passion for serving customers, caring for others, and boldly challenging what’s possible for a sustainable world.
We are committed to achieving workforce diversity reflective of our communities. We are an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identify, national origin, pregnancy, age, marital status, disability, status as a protected veteran, or any legally protected status.